Chair Yoga Training for Educators and Clinicians
How can you bring the essential benefits of movement to students while practicing social distancing, learning virtually, or when your school simply doesn’t have enough space?
Chair yoga makes it possible and provides a timely break from screens for students to move their bodies, release stress, and stay engaged and ready to learn.
In this experiential online course, The School Yoga Project Director Mayuri Gonzalez teaches simple and effective chair-based practices you can immediately bring to students, incorporating movement, breathing, mindfulness, and relaxation. This course includes a wealth of take-away resources to support your learning and implementation, plus bonus tools to deepen your personal practice and well-being during these trying times.
Why Chair Yoga?
- Children today sit still for developmentally inappropriate periods. This is only being intensified with virtual and hybrid learning. Many schools are increasing rigor and standardized tests while decreasing time for physical education and movement breaks. Additionally, many schools and families at home lack the space for mat-based yoga, and with increased health measures, it isn’t advisable for students to be sharing yoga mats.
- Chair yoga is an effective and sustainable way to bring daily yoga practice to children and adolescents in a classroom setting or at home, without the need for additional space or yoga mats.
- This course is best suited for classroom teachers, PE teachers, school-based clinicians, yoga instructors, and mindfulness educators. All others who work with children are welcome to join (including parents).
After completion, you will be ready to:
- Create and implement chair yoga sequences to meet the needs of children and adolescents.
- Teach various yoga poses, breathwork, mindfulness, and relaxation practices to students seated in chairs or using chairs as supports.
- Understand how movement connects to learning and how chair yoga powerfully complements mindfulness programs, providing meaningful benefits, and engaging experiences for students.
This course meets Yoga Alliance CE requirements.