Sat, Apr 06|
Princeton Center For Yoga & Health
Chair Yoga for Children and Adolescents
Get Kids Moving and Ready to Learn!
Apr 06, 2019, 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Princeton Center For Yoga & Health, 88 Orchard Road, Princeton Area, Skillman, NJ 08558, USA
How can you bring the benefits of yoga to students, when your school simply doesn’t have enough space? Chair yoga makes it possible. This experiential course teaches simple and effective chair-based practices you can immediately bring to students, incorporating movement, breathing, mindfulness and relaxation. Includes a wealth of take-away resources to support your learning and implementation, plus bonus tools to deepen your personal practice.
This course is best suited for classroom teachers, school based clinicians, yoga instructors and mindfulness educators. All others who work with children are welcome to join (including parents).
WHY CHAIR YOGA?
Children today sit still for developmentally inappropriate periods of time. Many schools are increasing rigor and standardized tests, while decreasing time for physical education. In addition, many schools lack space for activities like yoga, and transitioning students in and out of classrooms can be time consuming and complicated.
Chair yoga is an effective and sustainable way to bring daily yoga practice to children and adolescents in a classroom setting, without the need for additional space or yoga mats.
AFTER COMPLETION, YOU’LL BE READY TO:
- Create and implement chair yoga sequences to meet the needs of children and adolescents.
- Teach a variety of yoga poses, breath work, mindfulness and relaxation practices to students seated in chairs or using chairs as supports.
- Understand how movement connects to learning, and how chair yoga powerfully compliments mindfulness programs, providing meaningful benefits and engaging experiences for students.
- Implement strategies that support both student and teacher self-care and wellness.
- Articulate the benefits of chair yoga to a school.